Re: [vox-tech] Monitor

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Monitor
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@dMAPSirac.org>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 13:03:24 -0800

some people can "hear" monitors.  i can.  a very, very high pitched but
faint whistle.  if yours isn't faint, then something is definitely not
right.

incorrect modelines will cause visual clues before aural ones.   low refresh
rates (or equivalently, very large VSR/HSR) will make you feel like you're
being slapped in the face.   a good test is using peripheral vision.  look
away from the monitor, but keep the monitor in your peripheral vision.  stay
like that for 30 seconds.  if your eye hurts, then the refresh rate is way
too low.

i've heard monitors make loud sounds before, but it's always been waaaay
poorly configured; you could tell visually something was wrong immediately.

my vote goes for either defective or cheap equipment.  what make and model
is the monitor?

pete

On Fri 05 Jan 01,  1:05 PM, Nicole Carlson said...

--
Just upgraded to Woody?  Don't have permission to run X?              linux
In Xwrapper.config, change allowed_users from root to console.          -