Re: [vox-tech] Telnet

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Rusty Minden wrote:
> Then it is time for me to learn SSH. I have not yet learned how to use it.
> This is what I love about LUGOD you get to learn without the shame of having
> to admit that you don't know it all.
> What is the best place to start learning SSH I will try linuxdoc.org first.

SSH rocks.  It's intended as a replacement for telnet, ftp, and the
so-called "r" (remote) services: rlogin, rsh, etc.  The trouble with all
of these is that they send everything--including your password--in clear
text.  Enter ssh, secure shell.  It negotiates a key with the other host
and encrypts all communications, completely transparently to the end
user.
What you'll need:
1) A client.  You might even have it already installed; if not, check
the usual places.  On that Other OS, there are a couple of free-as-in-beer
clients; I like puTTY (get it at tucows.com).  You won't need the
server unless you're running an ssh daemon of your own.  There's also a
web-to-ssh gateway at http://www.mindbright.se/mindterm/ .
2) A remote host running ssh.  ssh generally runs on port 22, so if you
'telnet a.b.c.d 22' and see something like 'SSH-version-number' pop up,
then you should be good to go.

HTH!  SSH kicks much butt.

--nicole twn

***
"When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your
body off a building?"--They Might Be Giants