Re: [vox-tech] Telnet

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, William Kendrick wrote:

> it's passed as an environment variable (not sure exactly how :) )

RFC854 and RFC1091 :)

Basically, the server can request from the client various
information.  This can be done first by sending ASCII 255, followed by
some commands.  The client responds by either telling the server that it
will execute the command (in which case it sends requested information) or
it can tell the server that it won't execute the command (necessary if the
client doesn't understand the command).  Some commonly done things are
requesting for window size and terminal type.

I remember one time trying to figure out what commands are sent back and
forth by pretending to be a telnet client and connecting to a server, and
also pretending to be a server and requesting the telnet client for
information.  Kind of like what Jeremy Allison said the Samba group does
with the SMB protocol :)

-Mark

> For example, "xterm" is a terminal type that gets sent to my ISP when
> I SSH or telnet from my Linux box when I'm in X-Window:
>
>    3/M/home/n/nbs>echo $TERM
>    xterm
>    4/M/home/n/nbs>
>

> PS - you want to use SSH.  It's secure.  Telnet is far from it.
>
> -bill!

---
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/