January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Telnet

> Believe it or not I have never used telnet I use a terminal emulator at work
> so I am a little dense on this one. How do you set the terminal emulation
> type.

it's passed as an environment variable (not sure exactly how :) )

For example, "xterm" is a terminal type that gets sent to my ISP when
I SSH or telnet from my Linux box when I'm in X-Window:

   3/M/home/n/nbs>echo $TERM
   xterm
   4/M/home/n/nbs>

PS - you want to use SSH.  It's secure.  Telnet is far from it.