Re: [vox-tech] user mounting of an smbfs

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] user mounting of an smbfs
  • From: Matt Roper <mdropMAPSer@ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:46:11 -0800

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, William Kendrick wrote:

> Ok, now that I can mount the SMB file system, I'd like to be able to
> do it as a regular user (not root).  I tried adding stuff to /etc/fstab,
> but am not making these utilities happy. :)
>
> Is there some other kind of "stab" or "conf" file to touch?

With most types of filesystems, adding "user" to the list of options in
/etc/fstab will allow non-root users to mount the filesystem.  I checked
to see if this works with smbfs and got the following message:

  smbmnt must be installed suid root for direct user mounts (500,500)
  smbmnt failed: 1
  mount.smbfs: ioctl failed, res=-1

I assume that if you make /usr/bin/smbmnt suid root it will work.

Matt

Matt Roper
mdroper@ucdavis.edu
http://www.mattrope.com