Re: [vox-tech] gcc inconsistency question

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Micah Cowan wrote:

> If you rename your prototype of GJFullPivotInvert to
> GJFullPivotInvertD, you'll get the warning on both... :)

sharp!

> double **ar != double ar[][].  Use the latter, and the warnings will stop,
> except for the second arg in GJFullPivotInvertD().
>
> const double ar[][] isn't a constant pointer, it's a pointer to a
> multidimensional array of "const doubles".

ar[][] won't fly.  You can only omit the array dimension on the innermost
(left) brackets: double ar[][3], where ar is an array of arrays of 3
doubles.  You can remember this by recalling that in C all arrays are of
one dimension that can vary, but the elements of any given array must be
of a defined size.

rhonda and peter:

Making matrix functions in C that can process matrices of arbitrary
dimension is a PITA, in case you had not yet noticed. :)  This is one area
where C++ templates really fill the bill.  Also, languages like Scilab
(a Matlab clone) are a dream for such analyses.

"Numerical Recipes in C" is a classic tome with a surprising number of
weaknesses for all its assumed authority. (Which is to say, a valuable
reference for the numerical analyst, but its code should be reviewed
carefully before use.) Anyway, while the source code is for sale, there
are two files are public domain that you might like to look at:

http://www.nr.com/pubdom/nrutil.h.txt
http://www.nr.com/pubdom/nrutil.c.txt

[...]