[vox-tech] X on thinkpad A21p

Sorry to beat a dead horse but...

This morning I installed X4.0.2 over my existing 3.3.6.  I ran:

XF86Setup -configure

An behold, it worked, I could start X.  But, every so often the screen would fad
to white, the system would hang and I'd have to pull the battery out, in order
to reboot.

So I thought "I'll start clean", So I reinstalled RH 6.2, then reinstalled
4.0.2, now when I run XF86Setup -configure I get:

Warning CHIPSET specification missing in Card database entry S3 Savage4 (line
1442).
Warning SERVER specification missing in Card database entry Trident TGUI9420
(generic) (line 2186).
... (more lines of the same)

no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

Then I export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

and I get:

(bunch of the same "Warning SERVER spec" lines) and

couldn't connect to display "localhost:0.0"

What am I doing wrong????

Jay

Jay Strauss
jjstrauss@yahoo.com