Re: [vox-tech] X on my new A21p

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Jay wrote:
> I've been to the linux for laptop page but they tell me bits an pieces
> but not how to get X working on my machine
> I've installed RH 6.2 (kernel 2.2.14)
> I have a ATI rage Mobility 8mb video card
> I've installed XFree86 v3.3.6

I had a similar problem with my Dell Inspiron.  Turned out that X
prior to 4.0 doesn't like that specific card, which is found
on many many laptops.  I downloaded a patched X server
(www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/x_method1.html), and X forthwith ran
like the proverbial charm.  You could also download a newer XFree86.  Try
it and let me know how it works.

--nicole twn

***
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a
butterfly."--Buckminster Fuller