January 6: Social gathering

[vox-tech] X on my new A21p

I just got a new thinkpad A21P -

I've been to the linux for laptop page but they tell me bits an pieces
but not how to get X working on my machine

Here is what happens:

I've installed RH 6.2 (kernel 2.2.14)
I have a ATI rage Mobility 8mb video card
I've installed XFree86 v3.3.6

I've copied various XF86Config files (from various docs on the page)

when I try to startx, I get:

    execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)

Then I have to cntl-c

So I tried Xconfigurator (and chose):

The ATI Mach64 card
Custom monitor
Monitor that can do 1600x1200 @ 70 Hz
50-90 vertical sync

When I probe, my SYSTEM HANGS

Don't probe
8 mb video memory
No clockchip setting
16 bit 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x1024, 1600x1200
Now I test teh configuration
SYSTEM HANGS (black screen)

suggestions?

Thanks