Re: [vox-tech] X11 forwarding question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] X11 forwarding question
  • From: Micah Cowan <micah@cowanboMAPSx.com>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:30:26 -0800

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 12:50:43AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i think the answer is no, but just to make sure...
>
> is it possible to run X applications remotely when you're on a machine which
> is masqueraded?   how do you let the remote machine know where to forward X
> packets to if you don't have a real IP address?
>
> pete

Since Ted answered your first question, I'll answer the second ;)

When you use the method Ted described, the sshd on the other side
opens a port on localhost and sets DISPLAY to it, and forwards all
connections through the secure tunnel.  Your ssh client then turns
around and forwards those connections to *its* DISPLAY, allowing
secure X connections?

Norton PC Anywhere, EAT YOUR HEART OUT! ;)

Micah