Re: [vox-tech] X11 forwarding question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] X11 forwarding question
  • From: Ted Deppner <ted@pMAPSsyber.com>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 07:12:45 -0800

use 'ssh -X machine'.

If you're going from the masqed machine out to a public machine, this
works easily, and you can run X clients from the remote host and display
on your local X server.  If ssh-ing from a public machine into the masqed
machine, you'll need a whole in your firewall/masquerading box.

Once you're sshed in, and there are no errors like "Remote host denied X11
forwarding", you're good to go.  echo your $DISPLAY to make sure it
contains something useful, and check $XAUTHORITY which should point to a
file in /tmp/ssh*.

If you get they "denied X11 forwarding", you'll need to allow X forwarding
in the remote host's /etc/ssh/sshd.conf.  If you're using a highly
restricted hosts.allow and hosts.deny, you will need to add an entry for
X-forwarding... I don't remember it off the top of my head, but it should
be in the docs (x11-forwarding or something).

You can use -cblowfish for faster streaming, and -C for compression as
option to ssh, which can help alot.  The compression will slow you down if
you're already at 10mbit or above, but on DSL and T1's it can help.  You
might also look at lbx, low bandwidth X, which is another X stream
compressor and differentaitor (available in debian too).  lbx can be
tunneled through and ssh stream (Haven't tried this, but it may be worth
checking out).

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/