Re: [vox-tech] Disk Space Mystery

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 01:59:16PM -0800, William Kendrick wrote:
> Tips:
>
>   * To see which directories take up the most room first:
>     du | sort -n -r | less
>     (-n to sort numerically            (1, 12, 19, 110, 1500)
>      instead of by ascii string values (1, 110, 12, 1500, 19))
>     (-r to reverse sort (largest numbers first))

More tips:

On Linux (actually, any UNIX), the disk space used by a file is not recycled
when the file is deleted until any processes that have opened the file close
it again. So, if you have long-lived processes on your system, you can end up
with a significant number of these ghost files. There is a tool called lsof
that can reveal this.

--
Henry House