Re: [vox-tech] new member needs help

Well, this is a long story.

I live at Sorrento at the moment.  Last year, I lived at Cambridge
House apartments.  I got my DSL while I was at Cambridge, when they
offerred static IP.

Before I moved, I called Pacbell to see if I'll be getting static IP at my
next place of residence (Sorrento, where I now live).  I was told yes,
though I may get a different IP.  That was great.

When I made the actual call to move to Sorrento, the operator told me that
I can't have static IP.  This person probably isn't aware of the extension
of the contract (my contract at the time was for static IP, so it makes
sense that, when I renew the contract, that I get static IP, even if
I do move)  But I didn't care all that much so I said fine.

Then I had loads of problems when I moved to Sorrento (you
remember...)  So I've probably made a couple dozen calls to Pacbell.

One of the calls, it so happened, I was connected to a guy who decided to
connect me to Pacbell Internet.  Now, Pacbell Internet (or PBI for
short) offers the internet accounts, and is separate from SBC that's
giving me the DSL hookup.  They had several contradicting paperworks, and
the guy knew exactly what was going on (apparently he had dealt with this
problem before).  And he said, "You know you qualify for static
IP?  Here's your IP, gateway, and DNS: ..." and he got me all the info I
needed.

And lo and behold, I am now static... :)

-Mark

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Mark Kim wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us wrote:
> >
> > > Mark Kim (on vox-tech) uses RP-PPPoE on a Mandrake system.
> >
> > I *used to*.  It turns out I qualify for static (bless that guy from
> > Pacbell Internet :) so I now have static IP!
>
> Is that like "qualifying" for a new credit card ($$)?  Or is it more like
> "you have passed the 'sane user' trouble quotient and if I give this to
> you will you leave me alone" qualification?
>
> It is also possible for them to assign static ips through RP-PPPoE... but
> I gather they didn't do that.

> Work:<JeffN@endecon.com>              Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing
> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.  rocks...2k

---
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/
PGP key available upon request.