[vox-tech] cheap PCs

  • Subject: [vox-tech] cheap PCs
  • From: Jim Riffel <jriffel@zworld.coMAPSm>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 06:28:23 -0800

    If you look around enough, you can find deals on cheap PCs.  While many of them
are older and slower than what is wanted
by "those with too much time and money on their hands" (gamers),  they can make fine
Linux firewalls or kick-around boxes.

One case in point:: I received a fax yesterday from Micro Source
(www.microsourcedirect.com) that is selling some older
Compaq boxes (probable an inventory closeout).  Pentium(1) 166MHz,  32MB ram,  1.2GB
disk,  CD drive, Sound & Ethernet
on the motherboard, keyboard, mouse and 15" SVGA monitor.  Cost $295.00 plus shipping.

With the present-day cost of ram and disk,  add another 128MB ram and a 10GB disk for
an acceptable box.
Being a network manager (ie Target),  I wouldn't dream of making these into main
fileservers on the enterprise, but I did buy 6
of them for user workstations on a test net.

I'm sure that the power producers for the state of CA would love everybody to have 5
or 6 of these in their homes.

Jim Riffel