Re: [vox-tech] Firewall

On Wed 10 Jan 01, 12:53 PM, Jay said...
> I'm trying to decide how to setup my next firewall.  I see smoothwall (which I
> hear is pretty good) uses only 2 nics (internal and external) and port
> forwards request to machines on the private internal network.

that's a good idea.  now that we have hackers on the prowl, i think we ALL
need to re-evaluate system security.

i use seawall -- can't give it a recommendation one way or another.  it's
certainly complicated; makes EXTENSIVE use of user defined chains and
whatnot.  i don't see the point in a lot of it, but then again, i'm not
a security expert.  it DOES have recommendation of many people who are
security conscious, so you prolly can't go wrong with it.

> Also, isn't there some way to setup a firewall that doesn't have hard drive
> and boots off the floppy.

yes, it's called the linux router project.   i have to say, it is truly
awesome.  linux on a floppy.  if the system ever reboots (say, a power
outage), the thing loads the kernel off the floppy.  everything is done on a
ramdisk; no need for a hard drive, although you could use one if you like.

i'm VERY satisfied with my LRP system!  it runs seawall and forwards packets
to satan and navalle.

pete