Re: [vox-tech] athlon questions

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] athlon questions
  • From: Bill Broadley <bill@math.ucMAPSdavis.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 09:22:02 -0800

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 06:01:42PM -0500, George Thomas Finch wrote:
> My two cents.  Correct me if I am wrong.  But AMD does ot makes a chip that
> supports SMP.  We will have to wait for their successor to the Athlon, which
> will incorporate a new design, being two cores on one die (or something like
> that).  If you want to run two processors in one box you will need to stick to
> Intel.
> Or buy an Alpha....:)

Oh, btw, current chips DO support SMP.  It's the motherboards that
are lacking.  It's getting close though.  The 760 chipset based boards
currently becoming available are the predecessor of the 760 MP which is
the SMP capable version of the chipset.  Currently March is rumored as
the release date.

--
Bill