Re: [vox-tech] Red Hat Soundblaster Setup

On Sun 28 Jan 01,  2:15 PM, Rusty Minden said:
> I have tried SSh to get to the schools computer and have not been able.

chances are they're not running sshd.   i wouldn't be surprised at their
lack of concern over security.  it's pretty standard.

> have not tried from their to my box I didn,t want to take a chance of
> leaving my box open.

whatever you do, don't telnet into your home machine.  always ssh to your
home machine.

sshing to school is a matter of respect for their sysadmins.  saving them
from real, possible heartache.  sshing home is matter of common sense,
saving yourself from real, possible heartache.

although, you could say it doesn't matter, since even if you don't ssh into
the school's systems, a million other people do...

> What are the dangers of telneting out of my box to the school?

the school computers are subject to sniffing attack and will get
compromised.

> Am I leaving
> myself open at my home box?

no, not unless you transmit your password, say, over email.

remember, telneting from A to B, and sshing from B to C still leaves A, B
and C vulnerable to sniffing.

pete