Re: [vox-tech] Cracking...

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Cracking...
  • From: Harry Souders <gMAPSnulinux@rosecomputing.com>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 21:52:20 -0800

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 03:38:44PM -0800, Mark Kim wrote:
> So far, nmap scan of the firewall reveals ssh (22) and http (80) ports are
> open.  ssh version is "SSH-1.99-2.3.0 SSH Secure Shell (non-commercial)",

Some versions of ssh had security problems. Might want to check to see
if this is one of those versions

> Bugtraq shows thttpd 2.10 has a couple bugs, both related to CGI, but the
> system isn't running any CGIs.  Both systems are some Linux variants and

Maybe the system is running CGIs. What I mean is, some of the webserver
bugs that I have seen had to do with default CGI scripts that were
automatically installed either for testing or whatever. Also, some of
the webserver bugs have to do with default admin accounts and passwords.

Other than that I really have no idea of where to start. I have never
tried to break into a system. I would start there and then maybe look
into hacking/cracking sites. Maybe even look into hacking the firewall.