Re: [vox-tech] Cracking...

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> mark, something i found; it sounds like it may help.  thttpd comes, by
> default, with a cgi program called ssi.   here's a code snippet:

The web server doesn't have any CGI programs on it.

> also, don't overlook physical security.  do you know where the firewall is
> being kept?   if it's in his office, maybe you can get together with a
> friend and try to get him to leave the office for a few minutes.  that
> should be time enough to reboot the machine with a rescue disk, mount the
> hard drive, edit /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd to create a new account, reboot
> the machine.

All social engineering cracking techniques need to be approved by the
professor... I'm sure he won't fall for "will you leave the room for a
minute" technique right after I tell him what I'm going to do :P

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/