Re: [vox-tech] Memry Trouble??

On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 10:20:22PM -0800, Henry House wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 10:09:20PM -0800, Harry Souders wrote:
> In my experience Linux refuses to run if there is defective RAM in the
> system. Occasional bit flips are another matter though -- they happen to all
> RAM, more frequently on the flakier chips.

Depends on where the bad spot is.  I had a box with two 16mb DIMMs, with
the bad spot on the second dimm.  It was rare, but the box would run fine
for days and then hit the spot with something vital and take itself down.
It it a bad idea to use a box with known bad memory, and I did so only to
test and verify if the memory was bad, or the socket, or the motherboard
itself.

I didn't loose anything on the machine or filesystem (that I'm aware of).
I really love that about Linux...  I've never lost a filesystem, even when
the physical media went bad (though I did have an early md raid 0 fail).

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/