Re: [vox-tech] How to parse and submit a form in perl

Re: [vox-tech] How to parse and submit a form in perl

One disadvantage of tools that hide details from you (i.e., masking actual
HTML behind API calls that create syntactically correct HTML for you) is that
they require you to learn several systems and understand how they interact to
avoid becoming totally confused.

My suggestion: don't use HTML::<whatever>, just handle it using your own perl
code. It's not as efficient or elegant as using the library functions, but
you will understand what is happening and be able to effectively de-bug what
you have written.

Here's something to get you started (sorry about the long lines):
if ($ENV{'QUERY_STRING'}) { # GET data are in this variable
        @pairs = split(/&/, $ENV{'QUERY_STRING'}); # Split different variables into
temporary array
        foreach $pair (@pairs) {
                ($varname, $value) = split(/=/, $pair); # Split name/value pairs into
more temp variables
                $value =~ s/%([a-fA-F0-9][a-fA-F0-9])/pack("C", hex($1))/eg; # Undo
the URL-encoding
                $form{$varname} = $value; # Put values into %form indexed by their
names
        }
        &my_function_to_do_whatever; # Whatever program logic follows
}

--
Henry House