Re: [vox-tech] cgi question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] cgi question
  • From: Henry House <hMAPSajhouse@houseag.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:04:11 -0800

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 09:42:30AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i have a form page (form.html) -- the user enters data and it calls a cgi
> script (cgi1.pl).
>
> the cgi script saves the data to a file.
>
> at this point i would like to put up a map, have the user click on it and
> save the (x,y) value to the file that cgi1.pl just wrote.
>
> what's the best way to do that?  at this point, i have two options:
>
> 1. have cgi1.pl put the map up after it saves the datafile.  i'm not sure
>    how to collect the (x,y) data.

You should probably use a server-side image map and get the x,y info from the
PATH_INFO environment variable. Here is how that works:

http://www.foo.bar/cgi-bin/map/path/info -> PATH_INFO = '/path/info'

where 'map' is the name of the cgi.

> 2. have cgi1.pl call another webpage that puts the map up and collects the
>    (x,y) data.   the html page will have to call another cgi script to
>    write the coordinate data, but i'm not sure how to make the new cgi "know"
>    which data file we just wrote to.

Pass it an argument.

I'm not really sure what the stumbling block is. Can you be more specific?

--
Henry House