Re: [vox-tech] E-mail recipient?

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] E-mail recipient?
  • From: Micah Cowan <micah@cowaMAPSnbox.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:54:52 -0800

> Since the e-mail got to me,
> there must be some information in the header that tells to whom the e-mail
> was to be sent.  Does anybody know what this field is?  I can't find
> it...

Actually, no, you can receive email without your email address being
anywhere within the headers.  As pointed out, the MTAs only use
the envelope info to send the mail on.  This doesn't necessarily
result in an Envelope-To header, which isn't standard to my knowledge
and should therefore really be X-Envelope-To anyway.

The envelope is not part of the headers at all, and is impossible to
determine, except by mail logs, and sometimes the envelope info is
noted in the MTA's Received header.

This brings up a good point, however: except for mailing-lists,
you can pretty much assume that any mail which doesn't include your
address in the To header is junk and can safely be tossed.  Therefore
one of the best procmail rules you can use is that if its not mail
from a mailing-list you know of, and you're not the addressee, dump
it in the bit-bucket.  Just remember to add any new mailing lists
to .procrc!

Micah