Re: [vox-tech] On-line reference

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 10:07:11AM -0800, Henry House wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 12:36:59PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > On Thu 14 Dec 00,  3:04 PM, George Thomas Finch said...
> > > Can any one recommend a good on-line source that explains that default
> > > directories, where linux installs program files, like vi, gimp, wordperfect,
> > > netscape, etc. And where best to put directories that will be accessed over a
> > > network by other computers?

The Linux Standards Base (was called something else earlier) is supposed
to give guidelines for where files should be placed. The LSB seems to be
making progress, slowly, and distros seems to be doing their own thing
(RH), but nonetheless it seems to be the closest thing to a "standard".

Oddly enough I couldn't find the most recent of the LSB FHS (File
Hierarchy Standard?) in html format, but the second-most recent version
is at:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-toc.html

The most recent version in PDF format is at:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

It seems like it wasn't very long ago that one would have to search
crusty old unix books to learn linux as there just weren't many linux books
available.

Now the wealth of linux information is overwhelming. The Linux
Documentation Project alone along is amazing! Not to mention Linux
Gazette and a slew of other useful sites. If anything it is as if there is
almost too much information available and finding the best info is now
the problem.

Yeah, this doesn't exactly answer your question. Hopefully it will give
you ideas on places to search.

Now, to go off on a tangent..
If you type "which" followed by the programs name.
EXAMPLE:
which vi
It will give you the location of the program.