Re: [vox-tech] Creative Dxr3

I already told you about Dxr3 page on Sourceforge, right...?

   http://dxr3.sourceforge.net/

The project seems to be on hold but it's supposed to work to some
degree. I haven't tried it myself but I've been keeping an eye on it so I
can grab it as soon as a stable version comes out :)

I'd be just happy being able to play DVD at all.  I don't really mind
switch over to Windows for higher quality play.

-Mark

PS: As I understand, Dxr2 and Dxr3 are two different cards.

PPS: As I understand, hardware decoders do decryption so there are no
legal issues -- involving software at all, like for decryption of
the DVD data, I'd think is too much of a lag and won't make the
best use out of the hardware.  But then again, people do all sorts of
things to make the hardware cheaper so who knows...

PPPS: Hey, if you get the driver to work, let me know! :)

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Patrick B. Lickiss wrote:

> Since writing that first e-mail I have done a little more web site searching.  It's
> seems that OMS, which can be gotten from linuxvideo.org, supports the Creative Dxr2 @
> full hardware decoding.  Anyone know how close the two chipsets are?  (That is the
> Dxr2 and Dxr3) I know that Windows won't allow you to substitute drivers as I
> discovered attempting to set-up a Dxr2 on my brother's box.  Also, if anyone is using
> OMS, does it actually play commercial DVD's or are there still issues with CSS?  The
> site was rather vague.  Thanks a lot.
>
> Patrick
>
> > that was the first time anyone used the word "guru" in the same sentence as
> > my name.  very cool.   :)
>
> Whoever said flattery will get you nowhere was sorely mistaken. :)

---
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/
PGP key available upon request.