Re: [vox-tech] On-line reference

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] On-line reference
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@diraMAPSc.org>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:29:33 -0800

i don't know if they have what you're looking for, but the unix guru
universe has a lot of content:

        http://www.ugu.com/

also, "redhat secrets" (a book) goes into this somewhat.

the rule of thumb (at least with debian) is that nothing will install
itself into /usr/local/* unless you specifically tell it to.  if you
want to install something not provided for by rpm or deb packages,
you generally install it in /usr/local/*.

like, if you want to install defendguin or bobobot from source, you would
probably specify /usr/local/games with links to the executable in
/usr/local/bin.

however, if you install these games from a debian package, then debian
package maintainer's guide states: it has to be installed in /usr/games (or
somewhere other than /usr/local/*".

really important day to day stuff that users use like ls, cp and
rm go in /bin.

not so important day to day stuff that users use, like zip, xmms or yes go
in /usr/bin.

administrata commands that are generally rootly, like , fdisk, fsck, insmod,
lilo, etc. go in /sbin.

rootly administrata commands also go in /usr/sbin.

executables or links to executables that you install will go in
/usr/local/bin (like bobobot) or /usr/local/sbin (like nmap or crack-it).

a week is a very short amount of time.  the question you're asking is a
good one and shows that you're beginning to ask advanced questions considering
you've only been running linux for a week.   it will come clear with time.

pete

On Thu 14 Dec 00,  3:04 PM, George Thomas Finch said...
> I've had my linux box up and running and networked to other Windoes computers
> for about a week now, but being
> a newbie, I am still navigating through where Linux likes to install program
> file,s systems files, and user files.
>

> Can any one recommend a good on-line source that explains that default
> directories, where linux installs program files, like vi, gimp, wordperfect,
> netscape, etc. And where best to put directories that will be accessed over a
> network by other computers?
>

> Thanks,
> George
Just upgraded to Woody? Don't have permission to run X? In Xwrapper.config
Change allowed_users from root to console.
To err is human, to forgive is divine.      p@belial.ucdavis.edu       -
To oink is porcine, to meow is feline.    http://www.dirac.org/p      ._.
To neigh is equine to howl is lupine,                                 /v\
To moo is bovine to bleat is ovine.                                  // \\
GPG Fingerprint: B9F1 6CF3 47C4 7CD8 D33E 70A9 A3B9 1945 67EA 951D   rules