Re: [vox-tech] Partition Questions Part 1

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Partition Questions Part 1
  • From: Mark Kim <mkkim@ucdavis.edMAPSu>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 02:29:40 -0800

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> According to the Installation Guide for RedHat 6.1 you should create
> only these partitions unless you have a reason to do otherwise:

Guidelines.  You can ignore them freely.  Everyone has his/her own reason
for partitioning things his/her own way.  I like:

   /          (where all distribution-specific stuff goes)
   /usr/local (default install place for all downloaded programs)
   /home      (so I can save my work across upgrades)
   swap       (since it's good to have virtual memory)

And /boot if / doesn't fit under 1024 cylinder thing.

> Scenario 1:  I misuse rm -r and decide that I have to re-install RedHat
> 6.1.

Don't do it.  Put -i on rm alias.

> Scenario 2:  I decide to install (not upgrade to) RedHat 7.0 over RedHat
> 6.1.

If you use my partition settings, you can:

   1. Archive /etc in case you'll need config stuff later for customization
   2. Format / partition
   3. Install 7.0 to / partition.

And everything you had before is still there, including home and
downloaded programs.

> Scenario 3:  I decide to install Suse over RedHat 6.1.

Same as above.

> Now is the advantage in having separate partitions that in each of these
> scenarios I can install over RedHat 6.1 without wiping out my files in
> /home and my application programs in /usr/local?  I know that if
> everything is under /, a re-installation will wipe out all of my
> programs and files.  So is this the main point in having separate
> partitions?

There are many many reasons for having partitions.  One common reason is
for when one partition gets damaged, you'll still have other partitions
safe.  Multiple Linux distributions is one reason -- you can have SuSE on
/dev/hda1 and Debian on /dev/hda2 yet have the same /home on /dev/hda3 and
swap on /dev/hda4... -- this way you can try out different distributions
without having separate /home and /swap.

> Is what I am suggesting true?  Would it be possible to install Suse over
> RedHat and expect my programs to run as usual?

Pretty much.  Some upgrades may be necessary if /usr/local has programs
that require a certain version of some runtime library, in which case
either the program or the librarie(s) need to be upgraded.

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/