Re: [vox-tech] Partition Questions Part 2

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Partition Questions Part 2
  • From: Bill Broadley <billMAPS@math.ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 23:13:45 -0800

The newest LILO has no restrictions, well technically it's the first
1024 TB (yes T).  Don't think that will be a problem for awhile.

With 45 GB drives around $150 I just partition swap + 1/3rd, then
do the full install on a single partition.   If you run out move
your biggest partition to the 2nd partition, probably /data /home or
/opt.  Then when version N+1 comes you can install onto the 3rd
partition, and then migrate gradually or even revert to the
previous OS.  Of course if you need the 3rd partition first you
can just mount it.

In any question /boot is useless these day.

This is all btw for desktop use, for a server I'd make at least /var
a seperate partition to prevent things like mail/print/whatever
problems from filling the entire disk.  Of course /home as a seperate
partition makes reinstalls that much easier...

Modify to taste....