Re: [vox-tech] Cron Confusion

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Cron Confusion
  • From: Ted Deppner <ted@psybeMAPSr.com>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:34:50 -0800

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 11:08:22PM -0800, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> instead of just "messages" I get "messages.1" and "messages.2" etc.
>
> Here's the problem.  I'd like to find the cron file that was modified so

look for "logrotate" in /etc/cron.d or /etc/cron.{daily,weekly}.  You
should see logrotate called from one of those (assuming a debian system or
something similar).  If you find logrotate in /etc/cron.daily, then look
for a "runparts --report /etc/cron.daily" call in /etc/crontab, that would
be where to change the running time.

logrotate does the incrementing (and finally deleting) logs.
/etc/logrotate.d/ should contain logrotate's configs for each of your
major daemons... here you can change how many rotations are done, how long
they are kept, etc.

Read those manpages about cron, and logrotate too.  Lots of good info in
there.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/