Re: [vox-tech] self-appointed DNS server

On Sat, 25 Nov 2000 jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us wrote:
> Not if you use ip numbers (ping 169.237.105.35). There are routing table
> problems (with masks or static route to another interface, for example)
> that can create "holes" in your ability to route.

That turned out to be it.   ifconfig (didn't think to use it, my bad
*sheepish grin*) revealed that eth0 was up, doubtless from when
I was trying to get the laptop to connect to the campus network.  'ifdown
eth0' solved the problem; now all is peaceful.

Thanks a bunch, Jeff!

> You _could_ continue to use UCD's servers for a short while... it just
> adds a few milliseconds to each lookup, assuming the routing is working.

I had actually done this, but it hadn't worked either--in retrospect,
probably because routing was all fsck'd up on my end.  :)

--nicole twn

***
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a
butterfly."--Buckminster Fuller