Re: [vox-tech] a vi question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] a vi question
  • From: Mark Kim <mkkim@ucdavisMAPS.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:59:12 -0800

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> does anyone have access to plain vanilla vi anymore?   can you tell me the
> filesize of the executable?

Many vendors makes their own vi clone (Q: What is "true" vi?).  The
version of HP vi on the HP/UX system I have access to is 237568
bytes.  SVR4.0 vi on SGI O2 I have access to is 267220 bytes.

> also, does anyone know of a stripped down, small sized vi clone?  if so, can
> you tell me the name of the editor and the filesize of the executable?

Minix uses Elvis -- it's pretty small and runs on many systems.  Elvis
comes with several Linux dists, too -- when I was installing Libranet at
the IF I realized /usr/bin/vi is Elvis and /usr/bin/vim is Vim... check it
out.  I'd imagine the binary to be around 300K.

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/