Re: [vox-tech] utter confusion about graphics

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] utter confusion about graphics
  • From: Bill Broadley <bill@math.ucdavis.eMAPSdu>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:14:03 -0800

> However, apparently XFree lacks the GLX extension (the OpenGL extension
> needed by GLUT... and maybe OpenGL calls themselves, too, I haven't
> figured that part out yet.)

GLUT is part of mesa.  I.e. whatever it needs is available under linux.

> Yeah, GLX is an X extension for OpenGL.  I know it's necessary for GLUT
> but I'm not sure if it's necessary for GL.  Apparently Linux (or XFree, I
> guess) lacks the GLX extension because if I try to xhost an OpenGL
> application off of the SGI's, I get the following error:
>
>   GLUT: Fatal Error in viewer: OpenGL GLX extension not supported by
>   display: sgi34:10.0
>
> but I can xhost off of Linux boxes on SGIs just fine.  Mesa rules :)

Heh, well there's a bit more to it then that.  Not sure exactly how the
remote GLX works, you might require a few non-mesa bits but I believe
they do exist.

In any case GLUT is definitely available as a part of Mesa.  I've
compiled 3d applications that require it.