Re: [vox-tech] utter confusion about graphics

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] utter confusion about graphics
  • From: Bill Broadley <bill@math.ucdavisMAPS.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:04:46 -0800

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 10:22:46PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> yet i've seen people say that mesa is also a drop-in replacement for glide.

Incorrect.  Mesa can however use the glide backend to deliver accelerated
3d graphics on 3dfx hardware.  The degree that glide is integrated
with mesa, and mesa integrated with the xserver depends entirely
on which version at a given point in time.

> there are versions of mesa which have 3dfx drivers, which presumably use
> 3dfx acceleration.

Correct.

> so does mesa-glide use hardware acceleration for opengl functions?   or does
> mesa-glide implement both opengl and glide?

Glide is a pretty low level lib, to the degree that doing it yourself
would make you less portable and likely provide little additional
performance.  Glide is btw a 3d lib, not a 2d.   I believe you can do
little besides define a view point, texture, and send tri's.

> now, DRI == direct rendering infrastructure allows X clients to write 3D
> rendering information to the video card.  this can be hardware accelerated
> or not.

Correct, this gets the xserver out of the way so the 3d driver can talk
directly to hardware.  I.e. they share a pointer, and agree on a mapping
then can communicate directly.  One advantage of this is this allows
the 3d applicatino (say quake) and then 3d rendering pipeline so run
as seperate processes allowing the utilization of 2 cpu's.  Using glide
allowed only a single cpu to contribute since the entire 3d pipeline+
application was inside a single process.

> glut is a windowing toolkit system, like gtk, but implements opengl.

Hmm, not sure I'd say implements opengl, I'd say glut provides a toolkit
to make certain programming tasks in an opengl task easier.  But yes
the glut uses the opengl API.

> finally, utah glx is the device dependent opengl implementation for xfree86.

Hmm, used to know this one, I think it's pretty much a legacy 3d lib
that offers another opengl implementation thats has a matrox 3d device
dependent driver available.  Basically just to get people buy till
a reasonable xfree86 + dri driver becomes available for matrox.

> i'm sure a lot of this isn't right.   does anybody have this stuff down?
> i'd like to have a clearer big picture of all this stuff.

I'm pretty sure what I wrote above is pretty close, corrections welcome,
I'm reaching a bit in some of the details....

With all this said, I figure I'd mention that nvidia's driver for xfree86-4.0
is working very well for me in both 2d and 3d on my $110 ish geforce 2 MX
card.  The voodoo3 cards are also a pretty good deal for the money
and work well in 2d and 3d.

Oh one other interesting tidbit, I believe the 3dfx/glide driver for
linux utilizes only a single rendering pipeline, so any additional
pipelines are not used.  3dfx has been very forthcoming about the
hardware details/docs however, so hopoefully this will change soon
(if it hasn't already).