Re: [vox-tech] cdrecord question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] cdrecord question
  • From: Micah Cowan <miMAPScah@cowanbox.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:18:27 -0800

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 05:04:18PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i was testing the limits of cdrecord, and managed to get this:
>
>       cdrecord: fifo had 21771 puts and 21771 gets.
>       cdrecord: fifo was 15 times empty and 7365 times full, min fill was 0%.
>
> i've seen cdrecord recognize when it bombed.  it stops and tells you that
> you just made a coaster.  this message is a bit different.  i assume what
> it means is it went to go write, but the write buffer was empty.
>
> i'm not too sure if this is a coaster.  i took a look around, and everything
> seems OK.

I would wager it is.  From the CD-Writing HOWTO:

...let me warn you that CD-writers
want to be fed with a constant stream of data. So the process of
writing the CD image to the CD must not be interrupted or a corrupt CD
will result.

Of course, you could have a smarter CD-burner than existed at the time
of that writing.

(BTW, I don't generally make coasters, since I
use CD-RWs much more often than CD-Rs.  Coasterless bliss - plus I can
make updates to my software archives stored there.)

> i'm hoping some people with more extensive cdrecord experience than i do can
> tell me whether this is most likely a successful burn or not.
>
> pete

Micah