Re: [vox-tech] cdrecord question

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Bill Broadley wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 05:04:18PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > i was testing the limits of cdrecord, and managed to get this:
> >
> >     cdrecord: fifo had 21771 puts and 21771 gets.
> >     cdrecord: fifo was 15 times empty and 7365 times full, min fill was 0%.
> >
> > i've seen cdrecord recognize when it bombed.  it stops and tells you that
> > you just made a coaster.  this message is a bit different.  i assume what
> > it means is it went to go write, but the write buffer was empty.
> >
> > i'm not too sure if this is a coaster.  i took a look around, and everything
> > seems OK.
> >
> > i'm hoping some people with more extensive cdrecord experience than i do can
> > tell me whether this is most likely a successful burn or not.
> >
> > pete
>
> I means the cdrecord fifo was empty 15 times, but that does NOT mean that
> the FIFO in the burner was empty (usually 1 MB or so).

aha, ok.  thanks.   looks like the default cdrecord fifo is 4MB.  at
256MB, i can afford to give a few more megs to cdrecord, just to be on the
safe side.

> IBM 45 GB disks for $160 are the current sweet spot for high quality,
> large fast disks IMO.

egads!  i was really proud of the 160 i paid for a 30 GB ibm a few months
ago.  it was the cheapest thing on pricewatch...

> If you want to be sure just md5sum the entire disk and compare it to the ISO
> (I think that works), it will take awhile.

actually, that occured to me right after i sent the email.  i'll probably do
that before going to bed.  :)

pete