Re: [vox-tech] cdrecord question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] cdrecord question
  • From: Bill Broadley <MAPSbill@math.ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:06:27 -0800

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 05:04:18PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i was testing the limits of cdrecord, and managed to get this:
>
>       cdrecord: fifo had 21771 puts and 21771 gets.
>       cdrecord: fifo was 15 times empty and 7365 times full, min fill was 0%.
>
> i've seen cdrecord recognize when it bombed.  it stops and tells you that
> you just made a coaster.  this message is a bit different.  i assume what
> it means is it went to go write, but the write buffer was empty.
>
> i'm not too sure if this is a coaster.  i took a look around, and everything
> seems OK.
>
> i'm hoping some people with more extensive cdrecord experience than i do can
> tell me whether this is most likely a successful burn or not.
>
> pete

I means the cdrecord fifo was empty 15 times, but that does NOT mean that
the FIFO in the burner was empty (usually 1 MB or so).  I'd guess it
was a fine burn, but you may want to take any steps possible to see
that cdrecord gets better I/O.  (better disk, controller, or less busy
machine).

IBM 45 GB disks for $160 are the current sweet spot for high quality,
large fast disks IMO.

If you want to be sure just md5sum the entire disk and compare it to the ISO
(I think that works), it will take awhile.

--
Bill