January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] My delete key doesn't work, my delete key doesn'twork

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Jay wrote:

> When you say "For immediate gratification, check the terminal window
> settings" what are these, where do you check them?

There are two ends of every terminal connection: the terminal device (that
you type on) and the process that it controls (such as bash).

When you run xterm or rxvt, that is a program that translates keyboard
input from the X server into bytes or byte sequences to send to the
controlled process.  There is usually a menu (sometimes you have to pop it
up with the right mouse button) that lets you tell it what character to
send when you push the backspace key.

At the other end, you have low level terminal support (stty) and
high-level terminal support (termcap or terminfo) to help translate the
various byte sequences that different terminals may generate to a single
set of sequences for the process to interpret.  The process may choose to
ignore either or both of these features, though, so sometimes you have to
tell your terminal emulation program to map keys a certain way to keep the
program you are using happy.  You haven't said which program you are
having problems with, though I would guess it is bash, which has yet
another layer of support called "readline".

> BTW, I forgot to indicate: My backspace key works (i.e. it deletes to
> the left), my delete key beeps, it should delete to the right (it does
> as root).

This was definitely not clear before. Since you only have INPUTRC defined
in root's environment, the bash readline capability may be configured
differently. Try copying /etc/inputrc to ~/.inputrc as jstrauss and logout
and login again.