Re: [vox-tech] Adding linux computer to network

Re: [vox-tech] Adding linux computer to network

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us wrote:

(snip)

> You might want to review some diagnostics if things still don't work:
>
>  lsmod       # tells you which nic drivers are installed
>  ifconfig    # tells you which nics have been configured
>  route -n    # tells you which routes have been setup
>  less /etc/nsswitch.conf # tells how network and host names will be
>              # looked up
>  less /etc/resolv.conf # tells which nameservers should be used, assuming
>              # resolv.conf has "dns" under "hosts"
>  less /etc/hosts # tells names of specific hosts that you don't want to
>              # ask DNS for (such as the names of the other machines on
>              # your LAN).

jeff, this is a GREAT summary!  i'd like to add one more tool that has been
*invaluable* to me, especially with systems with more than one nic, but also
for systems running samba or with complicated /etc/hosts and/or ipchains:

        tcpdump   # gives raw output of a network interface.

pete