Re: [vox-tech] Adding linux computer to network

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Adding linux computer to network
  • From: Henry House <hajhMAPSouse@houseag.com>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 15:27:50 -0800

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 02:28:19PM -0800, Mark Kim wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Lee Dutter wrote:
> > when I rebooted it came to a line that read Bringing up interface
> > eth0" and just hung there.
>
> During boot, the computer will hang for a while if your network card isn't
> configured correctly.  To solve the problem, reconfigure the network card.
> If we know what the network card is used for, perhaps we can guide you
> through reconfiguring it.  Let us know the IP address, gateway, and other
> information needed by the network card.

If I'm not mistaken Red Hat does not bring up network interfaces in
single-user mode (e.g., if you boot Linux with 'linux single<return>' from
the 'lilo boot:' prompt). The reason this happens is that you set up an
ethernet network during installation with incorrect settings. It WILL time
out eventually if you are patient :-).

--
Henry House