Re: [vox-tech] Re-assigning Partitions

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Re-assigning Partitions
  • From: Charles Ritchie <critchie@meMAPStavista.com>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 09:18:46 -0800

I installed Star Office 5.2 from the Red Hat 7.0 install disks.  Most files
install into the /opt directory, although a small subset of files (around
1MB, I think) go into each user's home directory as they are set up to use
the product.

I'm not sure if someone mentioned this already, but you can use Partion
Magic to non-destructively move and/or resize your Linux partitions,
without requiring Windows on the system.  After I initially installed Red
Hat 7.0, I realized I didn't provide enough space in the /home directory.
Rather than re-install, I used Partion Magic 5.0 to move and resize the
partitions.  Partition Magic choked on the Linux swap partition, but since
it contains transient data I simply deleted the swap partition, made all
the other changes, and created a new swap partition.

Partition Magic normally runs under Windows, but the docs tell you how to
create boot disks that will run on a Linux-only box.  Once it's up and
running, using PM under Linux is almost exactly like running it under
Windows.

Chuck Ritchie