Re: [vox-tech] Decompressing large files

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Decompressing large files
  • From: Micah Cowan <micah@cMAPSowanbox.com>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:20:13 -0800

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 02:18:20PM -0800, Eric Engelhard wrote:
> I am decompressing large (>1GB compressed) genome sequence files. I have
> plenty of free space on a fast scsi and 256MB of RAM. When I tried to to
> use "uncompress filename.Z" or "gzip -d filename.Z" I got a write error
> each time. The solution (well, MY solution) was to use the "-c" option
> with uncompress and pipe the output to a specified file. Does anyone
> know enough about uncompress to tell me why this solves the problem?
> --
> Eric

I don't, but offhand I'd say that uncompress doesn't handle writes as
stablely (if that's a word :) ) as bash does.  Which makes sense to
me, since uncompress is known to not verify compressed input files,
according to the gzip (i think) manpage.  After all, isn't the only
difference between uncompress filename.Z and uncompress -c, etc. the
fact that uncompress is/isn't handling the actual disk io?

Micah