Re: [vox-tech] help - dsl

ok, we just got DSL.  i do hear a background soft hum.  i can make a ppp
connection over it, with really crummy bandwidth.  with a filter, the hum
disappears.

can't get it to work though.  really strange symptom - after

        ifconfig eth0 216.102.106.76 up

every ping/ssh/whatever to 216.102.106.* goes straight back to my machine.
very wierd!

the dsl modem has the power, link and ready lights on.  no activity light
though.  in an act of desperation, i tried setting it up on the windows
machine; no success.  i tried using the old black dsl modems, no success.

i'm beginning to think that the problem is on pacbell's end.  maybe my ip
address or my gateway ip has changed?   no way to tell until tomorrow when i
can call pacbell.

gee whiz.  there's FINALLY dsl coming into my home, and i'm stuck writing
this email over a 56k modem.   it just ain't fair...

pete