Re: [vox-tech] Linux and exceed

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Doug Huckaba wrote:

> You know...I never was sure what the difference was. I always just hit the
> key I wanted to use as erase (ie the backspace key). I let the console
> generate the control code (which was ^H sometimes and ^? others).

Certain buttons on the keyboard don't have corresponding characters.  For
example, there's no way to show the "backspace" character on the
screen.  So to show that you've pressed the "backspace" key, the system
displays a sequence of characters (ie - ^H) that represents the backspace
character.  But the backspace character isn't really "^H", so typing ^H
isn't same as typing backspace.

Some of the other buttons without corresponding printable characters
are: F1 through F12, Up/Down/Right/Left keys, Insert, Delete, Home, ....

Usually these special characters perform special tasks when you press
them.  For example, on the command line, you press the backspace key to
move back one character.  So in order to use the backspace key (ie - to
tell stty to use backspace key for backspacing) you can press Ctrl-v
before pressing the actual key.  So to tell stty that you want to use
backspace for backspacing, you type:

   stty erase <Ctrl-v><Backspace>

> I found that the Delete key (both on the numberpad and above the arrow
> keys) generates the same control character as shift-backspace (^?).
> Depending on the system I attach to, the backspace key seems to toggle
> between these two...
>
> Can you explain how to generate the control characters on the screen that
> match what the key actually sends?

When you connect via a certain method (login from console, login through
Exceed, etc.), there is usually some way to figure out how you're
connecting.  So in your shell script, you include some statement to change
the backspace key to the one that works for that connection method.

stty has worked fine for me in the past.  But if that doesn't work, then
I'm not sure what the problem would be as I don't use Exceed...

> -Doug
>
> On 26 Oct 2000, at 15:05, Mark Kim wrote:
>
> Date sent:            Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:05:21 -0700 (PDT)
> From:                 Mark Kim <mkkim@ucdavis.edu>
> To:                   vox-tech@franz.mother.com
> Subject:              Re: [vox-tech] Linux and exceed
> Send reply to:        vox-tech@lists.mother.com
>
> > Not to undermine your knowledge, but when you type:
> >
> >    stty erase ^H
> >
> > do you actually press Ctrl-H to generate the code or do you type Shift-6
> > followed by H?  (I must ask this question since it's important to this
> > situation and I don't know whether you know this or not.)
> >
> > Another question.  If you type:
> >
> >    stty erase <Ctrl-v><Backspace>
> >
> > you say you get
> >
> >    stty erase ^[[3~
> >
> > After typing this, does your backspace work (before you put the
> > code in the startup script)?  And when you put the code in the startup
> > script, do you actually press <Ctrl-v><Backspace>, copy & paste, or type
> > out ^[[3~?
> >
> > > I think exceed lets me change the hex that is sent from the keyboard, what is
> > > the hex for ^H and ^?
> >
> > ^A = 0x01
> > ^B = 0x02
> > ^C = 0x03