Re: [vox-tech] help - dsl

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] help - dsl
  • From: Mark Kim <mMAPSkkim@ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:45:24 -0700

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> ok, so dsl is supported over standard 4 strand wire.

One pair of lines come into your house.  The POTS splitter splits it into
two pair of lines, one pair for voice and another for data.  In my view,
DSL is supported over one pair of wires... I guess you can view it as two
pairs...

> i assume that 2 strands are the 50/5 volt phone line corresponding to POTS
> and the other 2 carry the data transmission.

The pair of wires coming into your house contains both data and
voice.  Apparently this pair of wires can be connected directly to the DSL
modem and the modem will filter out voice by itself.  The POTS splitter
(or the self-install kit's filters) filters out the data so the telephones
don't get the data's static.  This is my understanding and it seems to be
correct from my fiddlings...

> does anyone know the voltage reading for the data lines?  there's got to be
> some kind of rms voltage.  right?

Well, my understanding is that there are two pairs of wires coming
out the POTS splitter: one pair of "data + voice line" wires and one pair
of "voice line" wires.  The "data+voice" goes to the DSL modem,
"voice" goes to the telephones.

So there's no separate voltage for the "data line" because there's no
separate "data line".

I hope this helps!

-Mark

---