Re: [vox-tech] Linux and exceed

Replying in the body

> > Changing that "start method" fixes that problem, only to let me see two
others:

> Good...
>

> > again my connect string:
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -fn 6x13 -bg black -bd white -fg lightblue -sb -ls -sl
> > 9999 -display @a@:@#  -T `uname -n`
> >
> > 1) bash: ulimit: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
> > where am I even monkeying with ulimits (whatever they are)
>
> Try trimming out some of your options on the command line. Here is the
> command line I issue for a simple xterm window (also sets the $DISPLAY
> variable and gives the window a title): /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -display @d -T
> "Crash.mrdoug.com"

Did that already, it was the "-ls" for some reason.

> > 2) my backspace and delete keys don't work.  My machine beeps when I hit
those
> > keys.  I tried doing "stty erase ^H" but it doesn't have any effect.
>
> You will want to check two things. 1) check the keyboard emulation of
> exceed. I use us.kbf with my 104 (keyboard with the windows keys) key
> keyboard. Next check the termcap definitions on the linux host you are
> connecting to. I know that these two areas define how keys are used
> however I am not sure as to what settings would directly effect your
> problem. I have similar problems with linux hosts (but not with SUN and AIX)
> so I'm sure that it's somewhere in the termcap file (located in /etc I'm
sure).

Someone else told me to try:
stty erase, then hold down cntl-v, then hit the backspace
This produced a ^[[3~

But it didn't solve my problem.  In my .bashrc I put in (one at a time)
stty erase ^[[3~
stty erase "^[[3~"
stty erase '^[[3~'

I've also been reading the HOWTO on keyboards, to no avail

Lastly

$ stty -a
speed 9600 baud; rows 24; columns 80; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
eol2 = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W;
lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon -ixoff
-iuclc -ixany -imaxbel
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt
echoctl echoke