Re: [vox-tech] embarrasing question about debian

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> hi cam!
>
> On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Cam wrote:
>
> > I think if you want 4.0, you need to go directly to xfree86
> > (ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/current/binaries), download 4.0, and do the
> > installation directly.
>
> bleah; i can almost see myself working feverishly to backoff the changes
> once i realize something's not right...   :)

I realised, some time after I sent my last msg (of course) that there is
often a fairly up-to-date debian package of xfree86 in
www.debian.org/~vincent (I think I have the URL right -- for sure it's
~vincent).  That may be the easiest all around.

> > Alternatively, you can download all the files,
> > debianize them (I haven't done this myself, but the instructions seem
> > fairly clear), and then install that way.  The Debian packaging system
> > looks after upgrading, removing, etc.  You shouldn't have to remove
> > anything yourself.
>
> that sounds good!   can you point me to documentation on how to debianize
> files?  i assume this means something along the lines of "install via
> tarball, but make dselect/apt recognize the change".   if so, that's great!

I quote from the FAQ:

6.15 How do I create Debian packages myself?

For more detailed description on this, read the New Maintainers' Guide,
available in the maint-guide package, or at
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/package-developer/maint-guide.html.tar.gz.

> > In Debian, if you want to upgrade, you use apt-get upgrade xxxx.
> > Apt-get accesses what is in your deb.conf file and makes the necessary
> > connection.
>
> ok, i assume this requires "woody" entries in sources.list?   as ted pointed
> out (i wasn't thinking), having potato and woody in that file at the same
> time is a bad idea, but if i changed everything to woody...

Exactly.

Cam