Re: [vox-tech] Running PortSentry

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Running PortSentry
  • From: Jessica <cat@ansible.MAPSorg>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 20:45:29 -0700

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Mark Kim wrote:

> Since Peter had great reviews of PortSentry, I'm running it now.  Except
> I'm not sure what mode to run portsentry in.  So anyone familiar with
> PortSentry -- what modes do you run PortSentry in?

I've not used portsentry extensively, but from what I've seen, the mode
that makes the most sense is the "Advanced Stealth Scan Detection" mode.

This mode analyzes the raw socket rather than binding to the
socket (in essence opening the port, which is how classic mode
works and is one of the main gripes I had with portsentry when I
tried it) and monitors all ports not already in use, so you don't have to
try to guess which ports the attackers are going to hit.

OTOH, if you only want to watch a few specific ports, Enhanced Stealth
Scan Detection mode would probably work equally well.

Classic mode seems awkward for several reasons which I can go into if you
want, and I can't see any particular reason to use it.

jessica