Re: [vox-tech] embarrasing question about debian

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] embarrasing question about debian
  • From: Ted Deppner <ted@psyber.cMAPSom>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 19:32:34 -0700

On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 12:53:52PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> ok, i'm still relatively new to debian.  how do i upgrade X to 4.0?
> i assume it's something along the lines of:
>
> 1. edit /etc/apt/sources.list; copy and paste to change:
>
> deb ftp://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/ potato main non-free contrib
> deb-src ftp://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/ potato main non-free contrib
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib non-free
>
> to say "woody".  this will give me both potato and woody packages.

You may not want that.  I'm not certain how having two sets of libc
libraries that satisfy "requires libc6" will hit the package manager.

Similar problems ensue when libnss requires a specific minor version of
libc6.  Netscape comes to mind as well.

I am running potato on most of my machines, and woody on 1 box.  I did run
with both potato and woody soon after they split, but problems cropped up
after a while.  I recommend sticking with one or the other.

> 3. uninstall 3.3.6 (how do i do this without uninstalling all the packages
> that depend on X?  dselect seems to automatically take care of dependencies,
> which is not what i want if i uninstall X).
>
> 4. install 4.0

I'm not certain 4.0 is in woody.  As I understood it wasn't in woody
yet... see the X Strike Force page (should be a link in your potato
Netscape drop down bar).

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/