Re: [vox-tech] DSL username and password

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] DSL username and password
  • From: Mark Kim <mkkim@ucdMAPSavis.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:47:22 -0700

So I called SBC again.

They recommended that I try the website again after I get DSL.

Very odd things from their tech department:

   1. There are three paper works under my telephone number,
      two of which is under my old roommate's name and one under
      mine.  These are as follows:

         a. The first paperwork has my old roommate's name (John)
            and is for static IP (what I used to have).

         b. The second paperwork has John's name and is for
            dynamic IP.  They tell me this paperwork is in
            the process of being cancelled.

         c. The third paperwork has my name and is for dynamic IP.

      which is really weird because my roommate's name shouldn't be
      on any paperwork at all.  I think it may be a reminescence of
      two years ago when the phone number wasn't under my name but
      one of my other roommate's.  How John's name under my phone number
      never got noticed last year is a puzzle, indeed...

   2. They tell me my paperwork is "PN32000" which means I can't get
      DSL until the 30th.  "But if they tell you you can get it
      tomorrow, then I guess you can!" is what they tell me.

Now, I want to get rid of paperwork #a.  I can't do this through the
tech department so I'm told to call the billing department.  Okay, so I
did.  And they tell me:

   1. They only see John's name on their computer screen.  No Mark
      anywhere.

   2. They gave me the userID I'm supposed to have, which is some
      generic userID they temporarily assign.  They can't see the
      password so I can't get the password.  I thought about asking
      them to reset the password, but given that this is the "old
      paperwork" I'm trying to get rid of, I dismiss that idea.

   3. They tell me I need to call the "other billing department".
      They transfer me.

So I'm on hold again but I didn't wait that long this time.  And they tell
me at the "other billing department":

   1. They see my name on their computer screen.  No John anywhere.

   2. My DSL will be activated on the 20th.

   3. They don't see John's name anywhere so they put me on hold to
      check it out.  After a few minutes, I get put on the hold queue
      again (I got kicked out back to the queue).

So I get a new representative after a little time.  I'm told:

   1. They see my name on their computer screen.  No John.

   2. They can't do anything.

   3. They're not a billing department but "ERP"

Alright, well.  I'm tired now.  I think I'll see what happens tomorrow...

-Mark

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Richard Cook wrote:

> They can easily reset the password;  they did so for my over the phone
> in an instant.  BTW, I use a LinkSys ethernet router which does the
> PPPoE automatically.  The advantage of this approach is the ability to
> use any operating system, even those such as Mac OS X, without
> configuring it for PPPoE.
>
> Mark Kim wrote:
> >
> > So I called Pacbell (actually, SBC)...
> >
> > They tell me I can create a username and a password from the following
> >    https://secure.pacbell.net/dyndsl/
> >
> > But when I go there, I'm told I already activated my email account and
> > that I need to call 1-800-708-INET.  Go figure.
> >
> > I'll call them when I get home... again.
> >
> > -Mark
> >
> > ---
> > Mark K. Kim
> > http://www.cbreak.org/mark/
> > PGP key available upon request.
>
> --
> opinions expressed here are not those of my employer!
> email: rcook@llnl.gov          Rich Cook, Mail Stop L-551 Bldg-3577
> Rm-1000
> http://www.llnl.gov/graphics   Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
> phone (925) 423-9605 (work)    7000 East Avenue
> fax (925) 423-9338             Livermore, CA 94550, USA

---