Re: [vox-tech] Losing My Mind a.k.a. Modem Setup

Re: [vox-tech] Losing My Mind a.k.a. Modem Setup

What modem brand/model are you using?  PCI is a pain to setup...  Try to
figure out which port and IRQ it uses (through Linux, not through BIOS or
Windows since IRQ seems to change between OS), then setup the /dev/ttyS*
device using the "setserial" program.  I *think* that *might* solve the
problem.

PS: "cat /proc/pci" to get IRQ info.  You may also get port info from
there, too.

-Mark

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Patrick Lickiss wrote:

> Well, after some work I finally got RedHat up and running.  Now my new
> problem(they never stop do they?):  How to get my modem set-up?  I started
> this set-up and found out the hard way that I have a winmodem, which, as I
> understand it, will run under Linux when Hell has frozen solid.  After
> discovering this, I proceeded to go online and buy a hardware modem(PCI
> since I don't think anyone really makes ISA anything anymore, and if they
> do I can't find it).  Well, it arrived today and I got it in my ox only to
> find out that Linux can't find it.  I'm running RH7.0 which uses kernel
> 2.4.2(I think that's right), which, as I understand it, should have PCI
> support.  Any idea what I'm doing wrong?  The only thing I can think of is
> that I didn't boot the system with nothing in the slot first, which I'm
> about to go home and try.  But if that doesn't fix it I'm stuck.  Any help
> would be appreciated.  Thanks a lot guys.
>
> Patrick
>
> P.S. I thought of another quick fix...DSL, network cards I can set-up, oh
> wait, nevermind, I'm 500 feet too far :)  Oh well.

---
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/
PGP key available upon request.